Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Matzo Ball Soup in Thermomix




I have been running around Vancouver looking for Matzo meal. The large Jewish deli on Granville has been out everytime I'm in the neighbourhood.  Today I found the Matzos on the North Shore.  I ground them in my Thermomix in 10 seconds and made matzo meal.  I improvised my recipe because last week when I made my free range organic chicken stock, I couldn't find the matzo meal so I froze it.  This week I made a lovely beef stock from veal bones and beef ribs so I'm using that.  I'm not traditional so we'll see how it tastes.  Also I tried steaming the matzo balls on the Varoma instead of boiling them in water. They were a little hard so I recommend boiling them in salted water for 20-25 minutes. I'm not Jewish, however since I had this at the famous Katz's deli in New York,  I have wanted to make it.

284g Matzo's or if you can find it Matzo meal
5 eggs
250ml water
50 g fat off stock (normally chicken fat)
1 tsp salt
fresh pepper
Grind Matzos in Thermomix for 10 sec/speed 10
Add eggs, melted fat, water and spices and mix 30 sec/ speed 5 until combined
Let rest in fridge for 1 hour.
Roll into balls the size of ping pong balls.
Boil in salted water for 20-25 minutes.
Add to soup broth and serve with your favourite garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment