Monday, 29 December 2014

Stuffed Turkey Roulade with Chorizo and Sausage

This is something I always wanted to try ever since I learned how to debone a turkey at Culinary school.  It has been a while, so it took me longer than expected however the result was worth it.  I deboned the whole turkey which leaves the white and dark meat in tact.  That way you can have both kinds of meat. My husband hates turkey so I decided to stuff it with italian sausage and chorizo. (He loves that!) It turned out great except it was quit long.  I wanted to try out cooking it in my new sous-vide machine.  It was too long to use that, so I baked it in the oven which worked out really well and it was crispy and moist.
Roll out the turkey so that the meat is even.

I added fresh spinach, layer of proscuitto, sausage meat mixed with sauteed onion, garlic and fresh parsley done in my Thermomix. As well as freshly ground pepper.  I didn't add salt because of the proscuitto.


Here is the hard part and you might need another pair of hands to help you close it.  You need to tie it with butcher twine trying to keep skin all the way around the rouldade.


I added sage leaves and melted butter mixed with wild Turkey bourbon and kept basting it.  It made the turkey smell delicious and helped to crisp up the skin. I also added salt and fresh ground pepper to season the skin.

Let it rest 20 minutes before slicing.

You get white and dark meat all rolled into one slice as well as the sausage stuffing.  I made gravy with the stock that I made from the carcass as well as the pan drippings and of course more Wild Turkey Bourbon.  It looks really festive and didn't take too long to bake.  I made sure a thermometer read 70C to make sure it was fully cooked. Everyone loved it!  I also did it 2 days before and kept it in the fridge so there was no last minute stress. 




2 comments:

  1. Where did the dark meat come from and where is the stuffing recipe? I would love to make some of your food, Monica, but you are not including the information I need - you tease! Happy New Year.
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie
    I deboned the whole turkey so the white and dark meat stays where it is on the skin. I will publish a stuffing recipe at some point. Sorry for not including it. It had tons of fresh parsley in it which is why it was that vibrant green colour. Happy Cooking! :)M

    ReplyDelete