Friday, 19 December 2014

Pork and Beans

I love putting my beans in my Thermomix overnight with water.  When I wake up I (that's always a good thing!) I cook them for 60 minutes and then they are ready to use in my recipes.  This time I soaked them with 2  dried ancho chilli's ( dried  mexican chilli's that aren't spicy) as well just to give added flavour.  I also got some guanciale (italian pork) from a lovely store on east hastings with my friend and fellow Thermomix team leader Jenny. Using dried beans is so much cheaper and better for you because your not paying for all the added sodium in the can.  Also the liners in canned foods are very controversial.  It's lighter to carry home and all you have to do is to pre soak them!
 I made this recipe before going to work and let them cook in my cast iron pot (dutch oven) in the oven. The longer they cook the better!

350g dried beans (whatever you prefer or have on hand)
2 dried ancho chilli's (they aren't spicy but they add flavour)
Soak overnight and change water, then cook 60 min/100C/speed 1 REVERSE
Add 300g chopped bacon to dutch oven
150 g chopped guanciale
1 onion
4 cloves garlic,  or 1 elephant garlic clove
1/2 cup red wine( you can use vinegar 1/4 cup your choice)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2Tsp grainy mustard (or regular)
1/2 cup ketchup (make your own in the Thermomix! super easy!!!!)
50 g spicy chocolate ( I used up the chocolate I bought on a recent trip to mexico) It's optional.
Cook in the oven at 250F for 6-8 hours and enjoy!
You can serve it with rice or  a pistachio sauce. Recipe to follow, very yummy!









No comments:

Post a Comment