Friday, 7 November 2014

Thermomix Onion tarts (Flammkuche)

On my recent trip to Germany this is a specialty that comes from the area that we visited.  It is an Alsatian specialty made with onions, bacon and creme fraiche.  I used sourcream and my homemade yogurt cheese . I used pancetta that I bought from Mario Batelli's parents deli in seattle.  I have pictures of that that I will post later.  This dish is served in the fall and everyone has their own version of it.  It is called zweibel kuchen in german which translates to onion cake. It gets served with new wine.  The wine has just started the fermentation process and it is fruity, cloudy and bubbly.  It is really easy to drink however it does have alcohol so depending on where it is in the fermentation process the alcohol content is different.  It can sneak up on you. It is also very gassy in conjunction with the onion cake.  It is really delicious and worth it!
This recipe makes enough for 45 tarts and enough for the top of a flan.








1000g onions chop 10 sec/speed 8 and scrape down
200 g pancetta diced and fried until crispy (bacon)
30 g oil saute onions 4 min/Varoma/speed 1
360g Ricotta (yogurt cheese)
360 g sour cream (creme fraiche)
4 eggs, salt and pepper
1 tsp caraway seed
*be careful with the salt depending how salty your pancetta or bacon is.
Put onions in separate bowl and let cool down
Add ricotta, sour cream, eggs, salt,  pepper and caraway seeds and mix 10 seconds/ speed 7
Mix together with onions and spoon into tarts shells.
Sprinkle with pancetta or bacon and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes 325 F until brown.

I had filling leftover so I made a simple whole wheat dough and spread it on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment