Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Thermomix Apple Strudel

Many years ago when I lived in Germany this was my dessert of choice.  My husband's Austrian grandmother made the absolute best.  It really is quite simple but in Austria they have many different types of white flour.  I just used all purpose and it seemed to turn out really well.  I did make my share of them over the years and I luckily video taped his grandmother making one.  Each time I made one, I would watch the video first.  I still have that video but I didn't watch it this time.  She passed away many years ago and I was lucky to see her for the last time a few months before she died.  We don't always get a chance to go to Austria.  I'm glad I have that video!

On friday,  I went to my girlfriends mom's funeral.  She was a tiny Italian women who always made food for everyone.  Years ago I asked my girlfriend if she could get her mom to show us how to make gnocchi.  I had tried making it many times and could never get it right.  It has to do with flour/ potato ratio and the flour here is different than in Italy too. The rolling out was also a problem. She had us all come over and her mom showed us how to do it.  She was quite a character.  Really funny and so sweet. I learned a lot.  I had such good memories of her while at her funeral.  Every time I make gnocchi, I think of her. Anyway it's so important to learn from people while they are here because you never know....


Strudel Dough

370g flour
1 egg
40g oil
120g warm water
10 vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
Throw all ingredients into mixing bowl and KNEAD / 2 mins bowl closed
Refrigerate 30 minutes

Apple filling (I used 2 kinds of apples, tart and sweet)

750 g apple's peeled and sliced in 1/2 lemon juice
150 g assorted nuts, walnuts are best (I used ground almonds and walnuts)
100g vanilla bean sugar. (slice a vanilla bean open and throw into sugar container)
1-2 tsp cinnamon
100g raisen's soaked in rum (I used Stroh Austrian rum) any will do


Flour a tea towel and roll out dough. When dough is as large as tea towel start stretching with hands into outward motion.  You should be able to see the pattern of the tea towel underneath.  (Mine could have been a little thinner because it's easier to cut through after it's baked.)  When it's how you want it. Smear soft butter all over dough. (carefully) Mix all ingredients and evenly spread over whole surface. Grab one side of tea towel and start rolling up.  Place on cookie tray with baking paper or silpad mat. Crimp ends.
Brush with melted butter or egg wash.
Bake 50-60 minutes in 335F oven or 185C.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve with whipping cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Yummmy!!!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment